- 1Break the connection of or between: if the axle unit is partially disconnected from the body, the car should not be drivenMore example sentences
- For a comedian, her intensity is almost humourless, like she's partially disconnected, operating on a slightly different plane.
- In addition, fire hoses in the residence hall were disconnected and partially dismantled because the equipment was outdated.
- The people who are involved in this operation are under investigation by council officials and will be required to disconnect their illegal connections or face prosecution.
- 1.1Put (an electrical device) out of action by detaching it from a power supply: he disconnected the main power cables from the batteriesMore example sentences
- If your aircraft is intact after an event, and you need the data from the device, remove or disconnect the power plugs before applying any electrical power to the aircraft.
- The occupant was evacuated while electrical engineers disconnected the power, allowing the firefighters to enter.
- The circulating nurse covers the patient with warm blankets and works with the anesthesia care provider to disconnect the monitoring devices.
- 1.2Interrupt or terminate (a telephone conversation) by breaking the connection: I phoned them in Edinburgh but we got disconnected
- 1.3Terminate the connection of (a household) to water, electricity, gas, or telephone, typically because of non-payment of bills: if customers agree a payment plan, they will not be disconnectedMore example sentences
- In 1994 12, 500 households were disconnected from water supplies because they couldn't pay.
- Hundreds of thousands of customers have been disconnected for non-payment of bills, something that was illegal before privatisation.
- The corporatisation of basic services has meant that millions have been disconnected from water and electricity.
nounBack to top
- 1An instance of disconnecting or being disconnected: [as modifier]: a disconnect messageMore example sentences
- In this case, using the soft option is better; the disconnect message will appear on the screen and the operation will be canceled.
- If you need absolutely secure disconnects from the Internet without shutting down your computer, try this application.
- When this code boots, the USRP simulates a USB disconnect and reconnect.
- 1.1A discrepancy or lack of connection: there can be a disconnect between boardrooms and IT departments when it comes to technologyMore example sentences
- There are connects and disconnects between those of us who want peace.
- My original gripe was with the lack of diversity and the total disconnect of the media with its public.
- I guess I felt a general disconnect with life and with myself around that time.
disconnection (also disconnexion)
- More example sentences
- I'm just comfortable with the illusions of separateness and disconnection that the headphones provide.
- The inspector should also check chimneys and flues for blockages, corrosion, partial and complete disconnections, and loose connections.
- Although a number of hotels currently offer this type of internet connection as well, you will frequently find that occasional fees and disconnections may occur.