Definition of dispensary in English:
noun (plural dispensaries)
1A room where medicines are prepared and provided.
- From obstetrics, she went to the dispensary and the emergency room.
- The centre is equipped with a dispensary having all herbal medicines and expert druggists from the AVP.
- When completed it will consist of a full primary school of 16 classrooms, a dispensary, nursery school, playgrounds, sanitation facilities, a brothers' house and staff house.
2A clinic provided by public or charitable funds.
- In one such camp there is only one doctor from a Rajasthan hospital, Dr Aquil Ansari who has opened a temporary dispensary in a class room and who is tending to patients day and night.
- Before this time, dispensaries, which provided advice and medicine to parents, existed.
- Meanwhile, Oregon voters turned down the chance to revise their existing law by allowing patients to get their medicine from dispensaries regulated by the state.
3North American A facility that prepares and sells cannabis as recommended by a doctor for the treatment of a medical condition: state-issued ID cards are good for up to two ounces of pot a month from state-approved dispensaries
More example sentences
- Even if I could get a recommendation, I knew of no compassion clubs (medical marijuana cooperatives or dispensaries) in my area.
- Nothing against the local pot dealer, but dispensaries seem to be a safe, accommodating, affordable and necessary thing in California society.
- Federal agents continue to target medical marijuana dispensaries, even when such organizations are protected by state laws.
Words that rhyme with dispensaryincensory, ostensory, sensory, suspensory
Definition of dispensary in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.