Definition of distichous in English:
(Of parts) arranged alternately in two opposite vertical rows.
- Castilla also has plagiotropic branches that are arranged continuously along monopodial trunks and bear distichous leaves.
- Poaceae species present a conserved distichous phyllotaxy (leaf position along the stem) and share common properties with respect to leaf initiation.
- Phyllotaxy ranges from distichous to having 56 rows of leaves and is not restricted to Fibonacci numbers.
- Example sentences
- Leaves of this species are distichously arrayed on horizontal branches, and often hang down by 10-40° from the horizontal plane.
- Each floret is in the axil of a chaffy bract and these are arranged spirally or distichously in spikelets.
- These initials are distichously arranged as would be found in teosinte or lateral branches of the maize tassel.
Definition of distichous in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan