noun (plural divertimenti /-ti/ or divertimentos)Music
- A light and entertaining composition, typically one in the form of a suite for chamber orchestra.More example sentences
- A cassation is akin to a divertimento; Mozart composed a few early in his career, but it is a relatively unusual genre.
- Like his contemporaries, Joseph Haydn wrote very early divertimentos for string quartet.
- Prokofiev fashioned a suite of six pieces resembling a classical divertimento, but one laced with dissonances, evoking Stravinsky's Octet.
mid 18th century (denoting a diversion or amusement): Italian, literally 'diversion'.
More definitions of divertimentoDefinition of divertimento in:
- The US English dictionary