Definition of divider in English:
1A person or thing that divides a whole into parts.
- They feed on it because they would love to divide it and there are people like that I've always called the dividers.
- We need an environment for independent media as the unifiers, not dividers, of society.
- During the presidential campaign, he vowed, ‘I'm a uniter, not a divider.’
1.1 (also room divider) A screen or piece of furniture that divides a room into two parts.
- This mosquito barrier also serves as a flexible room divider between the kitchen and the other living areas.
- A focal point is the Craftsman-inspired room divider that functions as a bookcase on one side and bench on the other.
- Eric stood next to the room divider that separated the item shop and the bar.
1.2An issue on which opinions are divided: on the Labour side, the big divider was still nuclear weapons
More example sentences
- I see a difference and I think it has basically to do with the abortion issue and the perception of the abortion issue as a divider.
- It seems this last one is a real opinion divider.
- The cultural and political dividers between Europe and the US are second-order issues.
2 (dividers) A measuring compass, especially one with a screw for making fine adjustments.
- The little kids did not like what we said and had their compasses and dividers out, ready to give us a poke so we scooted out.
- In a corner of the lunette depicting Solomon Sitting in Judgment is a figure of a seated man holding a pair of dividers and examining a drawing.
- A pair of dividers, which is a weaker tool than a compass, enables one to transfer distances.
Words that rhyme with dividerchider, cider, eider, glider, Guider, Haida, hider, Ida, insider, Oneida, outsider, provider, rider, Ryder, Saida, slider, spider, strider, stridor
Definition of divider in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan