A predatory water beetle which has fringed back legs for swimming and which stores air under its wing cases while diving.
- Family Dytiscidae: numerous genera and species, including the great diving beetle (Dytiscus marginalis)
More example sentences
- A pond is a little world in itself, he says, home to a dizzying array of creatures from frogs and newts to water boatmen, diving beetles, dragonflies and damselflies.
- Predatory insects, such as dragonfly nymphs and diving beetles, may help mitigate bullfrog populations.
- There are some 500 different kinds of predaceous diving beetles in North America, and the largest grow to an inch and a half.
More definitions of diving beetleDefinition of diving beetle in:
- The US English dictionary