Definition of dodecahedron in English:
noun (plural dodecahedra ˌdəʊdɛkəˈhiːdrə or dodecahedrons)
A three-dimensional shape having twelve plane faces, in particular a regular solid figure with twelve equal pentagonal faces.
- There is a fifth Platonic regular solid too: the dodecahedron, which has pentagonal (five-sided) faces.
- The fifth regular polyhedron, the dodecahedron, was left over, so Plato proposed rather lamely that the god used it up for decorating the universe.
- Finally, so as not to leave out the one remaining regular solid, he proposed that the dodecahedron represented the shape of the entire universe.
Late 16th century: from Greek dōdekaedron, neuter (used as a noun) of dōdekaedros 'twelve-faced'.
- Example sentences
- Sphalerite is cubic with crystals commonly tetrahedral or dodecahedral and frequently complex and distorted.
- Archaeologists have unearthed models of dodecahedra at several sites in Europe, including a dodecahedral model in Germany that had holes of different sizes puncturing its faces.
- They described a distorted 5.5 x 4-cm dodecahedral crystal of genthelvite from a small pegmatite near Stove Mountain.
Words that rhyme with dodecahedrondecahedron, octahedron, polyhedron, tetrahedron
Definition of dodecahedron in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan