Definition of dodecahedron in English:
noun (plural dodecahedra ˌdəʊdɛkəˈhiːdrə or dodecahedrons)
A three-dimensional shape having twelve plane faces, in particular a regular solid figure with twelve equal pentagonal faces.
- There is a fifth Platonic regular solid too: the dodecahedron, which has pentagonal (five-sided) faces.
- The fifth regular polyhedron, the dodecahedron, was left over, so Plato proposed rather lamely that the god used it up for decorating the universe.
- Finally, so as not to leave out the one remaining regular solid, he proposed that the dodecahedron represented the shape of the entire universe.
- dodecahedral adjective
- Example sentences
- Sphalerite is cubic with crystals commonly tetrahedral or dodecahedral and frequently complex and distorted.
- Archaeologists have unearthed models of dodecahedra at several sites in Europe, including a dodecahedral model in Germany that had holes of different sizes puncturing its faces.
- They described a distorted 5.5 x 4-cm dodecahedral crystal of genthelvite from a small pegmatite near Stove Mountain.
Late 16th century: from Greek dōdekaedron, neuter (used as a noun) of dōdekaedros 'twelve-faced'.
Words that rhyme with dodecahedrondecahedron, octahedron, polyhedron, tetrahedron
Definition of dodecahedron in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.