adjectiveAnatomy & Biology
Of, denoting, or extending along an axis joining the dorsal and ventral surfaces.
- The nuclei are desynchronized along the dorsoventral axis with chromosome bridges.
- Contraction of dorsoventral muscles diminishes the space between dorsal and ventral cuticular trunk plates, increases the pressure in the small but liquid-filled body cavity, and last but not least protrudes the head.
- In galloping, the epaxial and hypaxial muscles function to produce dorsoventral bending of the vertebral column, and muscles fire bilaterally and uniphasically.
- Example sentences
- He presented an organism with dorsoventrally compressed oval body.
- It is slightly twisted longitudinally, much thicker, and less flattened dorsoventrally than the other carpals.
- The distal end is dorsoventrally flattened with a mildly convex and faintly bilobed articulation surface.
Definition of dorsoventral in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.