1(Of a device or product) combining two different functions: it is double-acting: it guards your radiator against freeze-ups and helps prevent rust
More example sentences
- These double-acting pumps required an initial outlay of $613,000 and cost $11,600 to operate.
- The track and suspension system is fitted with RMSh track and rubber-tyred road wheels, torsion bar suspension with hydraulic telescopic double-acting shock absorbers.
- These double-acting jacks use power wedge setters to seat the wedges into the anchor before retracting.
2(Of an engine) having pistons pushed from both sides alternately.
- The booster is a simple reciprocating double-acting steam engine which is self-contained and is attached to the frame of the [trailer] truck through a three-point suspension.
- The opposed pistons are double-acting, performing a two-stroke engine power cycle on facing ends and induction and scavenge air compression on their outside ends, all within the same cylinder bore.
- Common types of compressors are single-acting piston, double-acting piston, and centrifugal.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: double-acting
Definition of double-acting in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.