Definition of double-acting in English:
1(Of a device or product) combining two different functions: it is double-acting: it guards your radiator against freeze-ups and helps prevent rust
More example sentences
- These double-acting pumps required an initial outlay of $613,000 and cost $11,600 to operate.
- The track and suspension system is fitted with RMSh track and rubber-tyred road wheels, torsion bar suspension with hydraulic telescopic double-acting shock absorbers.
- These double-acting jacks use power wedge setters to seat the wedges into the anchor before retracting.
2(Of an engine) having pistons pushed from both sides alternately.
- The booster is a simple reciprocating double-acting steam engine which is self-contained and is attached to the frame of the [trailer] truck through a three-point suspension.
- The opposed pistons are double-acting, performing a two-stroke engine power cycle on facing ends and induction and scavenge air compression on their outside ends, all within the same cylinder bore.
- Common types of compressors are single-acting piston, double-acting piston, and centrifugal.
Definition of double-acting in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan