- Two dots placed side by side after a note to indicate that it is to be lengthened by three quarters of its value.More example sentences
- It quickly progresses to syncopation, eighth and sixteenth notes and rests, compound meter, and even explores double dots, odd tuplets, and irregular and shifting meters.
verbBack to top
- (double-dot) [with object] Write or perform (music) with a rhythm of alternating long and short notes in a ratio of seven to one, producing a more marked effect than ordinary dotted rhythm: (as noun double-dotting) some may feel at times that the double-dotting is being a little overdoneMore example sentences
- The convention in the dotted-rhythm section is to "double-dot" the rhythms, making the shorter notes shorter still, and giving them more "snap."
More definitions of double dotDefinition of double dot in:
- The US English dictionary