Definition of double eagle in English:
1A representation of a two-headed eagle.
- These dishes, which appear to be saucers with handles… bear the double eagle, Russia's crest in the center, and inscriptions in Slavonic around the edges.
- Across the forehead was branded a huge double eagle, the wing tips reaching to the temples, the tail running half way down the nose.
1.1US A gold coin worth twenty dollars.
- Even the minting of gold coins such as the gold eagles; or the coinage of a gold ‘dollar’; or the coining of the magnificent gold double eagles, leaves out a great amount of very important monetary history and policy.
- Yes, a double eagle coin struck in obsidian - quite rare and priceless - donated by a Diplomacy-playing numismatist.
- The 1933 gold Double Eagle coin has seen its share of jeopardy in a history that could have come straight from The Maltese Falcon.
2 Golf A score of three strokes under par at a hole. Also called albatross.
- And holes such as the 500-yard par-five 15th, where he made his historical double eagle by holing out a four wood, are now reached in two with a six iron.
- The Golf Guru prefers the latter, more colorful term - if two under on a hole isn't called a double birdie, why should three under be called a double eagle?
- A hole-in-two on a par 5 for a double eagle is harder because a player has to hit an accurate long drive on a first shot and a perfect second shot.
Definition of double eagle in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan