noun[mass noun] Physics
- Division of a single incident light ray or other electromagnetic wave into two separate rays in an anisotropic medium.More example sentences
- On the other hand, I used to find him plunged as deeply into the study of light polarisation, diffraction, and interference, single and double refraction, and all manner of strange organic compounds.
- Today, there are four basic methods for polarizing light: absorption, reflection, double refraction, and scattering.
- Think of the strain lines showing up under polarized light in diamonds with anomalous double refraction.
More definitions of double refractionDefinition of double refraction in:
- The US English dictionary