(US also donut)
Definition of doughnut in English:
1A small fried cake of sweetened dough, typically in the shape of a ball or ring.
- The menu mentioned toasted teacakes, scones, doughnuts, Danish pastries and flapjack.
- For simple fare, try sugar cookies, doughnuts, muffins or coffee cake with coffee and cocoa or hot spiced cider.
- There's a place called the Donut Pub on West 23rd that makes confection and cake donuts.
1.1A ring-shaped object, in particular a vacuum chamber in some types of particle accelerator.
- Joining the remaining pair of sides turns the cylinder into a doughnut, or torus (right).
- It is endlessly turning upon itself, a torus, a doughnut, spinning on the axis of the circular cylinder that is the doughnut.
- One unusual machine shoots a donut of compressed air.
Definition of doughnut in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan