Discouraged; in low spirits: fans must not be downhearted even though we lost
More example sentences
- After a few days of unproductive searching, they returned to Shalisa Creek Bay, downhearted and discouraged.
- Seven days previously they were dispirited and downhearted after being well beaten by Salford yet by Sunday they'd recovered to the point of putting on one of their most complete displays of the campaign.
- But the former Cheam High School student who had been one of the favourites to win the tournament was not too downhearted by his defeat.
despondent, disheartened, discouraged, dispirited, downcast, low-spirited, in low spirits, hopeless, cast down, crestfallen, down, low, disconsolate, in despair, despairing, wretched, oppressed;
melancholy, gloomy, glum, morose, doleful, dismal, woebegone, miserable, depressed, dejected, distressed, sorrowful, sad;
- Example sentences
- Lightening flashed and a distant rumble of thunder followed it before the pair came out again, the woman trudging downheartedly.
- She heard herself ask, pleading, ‘but I know there is nowhere else…’ she said downheartedly, crossing her arms about her chest and lowering her head.
- ‘Save your load of bull for someone who cares about you right now…’ he points to Radley, who looks at me downheartedly.
- Example sentences
- This is why I am not a writer of his reputation: I would never have thought that a celebratory aerial burst could have sadness, let alone be laced with a subcurrent of downheartedness.
- Yet our downheartedness is leavened by a measure of pride.
Words that rhyme with downheartedgood-hearted, hard-hearted, heavy-hearted, kind-hearted, light-hearted, lion-hearted, overparted, tender-hearted, uncharted, warm-hearted, wholehearted
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: down|heart¦ed
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.