1Time during which a machine, especially a computer, is out of action or unavailable for use.
- This self-study course is ideal for any home computer user, students in grades 8 and up or any business person who wants to make sure that the down time for their computers is kept at a minimum.
- In those twelve months of operation, we have had absolutely no down time due to the Linux operating system.
- Unfortunately because they target infrastructure, non-infected computers can still be affected through Internet down time.
1.1North American Time when one is not working or active: everyone needs downtime to unwind
More example sentences
- You probably don't have much time to relax these days, but in those moments or hours in which you do, how do you spend your down time, how do you unwind so to speak?
- I'm going to give it all up - job security, three months' down time, a machine that recruits itself - to stroke my ego and prove I can coach in the NFL.
- I was a VM systems programmer from 1992 to 1994; during that time, we typically had under an hour of scheduled down time a year.
Definition of downtime in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.