(also dumdum bullet)
- A kind of soft-nosed bullet that expands on impact and inflicts laceration.More example sentences
- The bullet often breaks into tiny pieces after penetration, ripping up muscle and nerve and causing multiple internal injuries, much like the internationally banned dumdum bullet.
- They used bullets that are called dumdum bullets, and when they hit, whatever they hit, there are fragments everywhere, and they shot at the cameramen.
- Bullets cause injury by transferring their energy into the body tissues; the design of the bullet influences this process, with hollow nosed or dumdum bullets being designed to maximise energy transfer.
late 19th century: from Dum Dum, name of a town and arsenal in eastern India where such bullets were first produced.
More definitions of dumdumDefinition of dumdum in:
- The US English dictionary