Definition of dumper in English:
1A person or thing that dumps something.
- He said 24-hour waste wardens should be empowered to impose on the spot fines on ‘the handful’ of illegal dumpers, saying they cannot be allowed to ride roughshod over the natural environment.
- The Government must bring in tougher fines and give waste control agencies powers to move quickly against rogue dumpers, the Environmental Protection Agency said yesterday.
- However, court fines to date have done little to deter such activity for the 100 illegal dumpers who have come before the district courts in recent years, with the average minimum fine being around €1,000.
1.1 (also dumper truck) British A truck with a body that tilts or opens at the back for unloading.
- Workmen came to the rescue of Don and his wife, from Didsbury, when they arrived in a dumper truck to drag the car free.
- An attempt to jump a dumper truck over two parked cars has been halted for health and safety reasons.
- It is not a case where the vehicle is designed for use in a place other than a road, such as a dumper truck used for road construction work.
1.2Australian /NZ A large wave that breaks and hurls the swimmer or surfer on to the beach.
- They were spilling waves rather than dumpers; meaning conditions would be good for swimming.
- She's up there light and fast for maybe five seconds before she thinks about dumpers and drowning and then she's prone again, nose to the wax, eyes closed hard and clinging, clinging.
2.1 (the dumper) informal Used in reference to a bad or unwanted state: his career’s in the dumper
More example sentences
- And about the eighth joke, we both knew this whole thing was going in the dumper, right?
- If nothing else, the renewed surge of equity markets around the globe as well as at home has put my bearish projections, which looked so sweet just three months ago, right in the dumper - temporarily at least.
- As the Colorado agricultural economy went in the dumper, his business partner misled him in ways he won't discuss.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia