Definition of dunk in English:
1 [with object] Dip (bread or other food) into a drink or soup before eating it: I dunked a biscuit into the cup of scalding tea
More example sentences
- Katrina had to hold herself properly and not slurp up her soup, or dunk bread into it either.
- She enjoys it like you would a good olive oil, scanning it for flavour and nuance - I think she'd dunk her bread in it if the artichoke soup hadn't claimed it first.
- Tonight there will be row upon row of long tables set up, where the brave gastronome can tuck into boiled snails or dunk fresh bread into pots of hot, unidentified tagine: Morocco is not ideal for vegetarians.
1.1Immerse or dip in water: he was dunked head first in the cold swimming pool
More example sentences
- She was having a wonderful time, giggling, splashing Minna, dunking Marlene under water.
- This could be as simple for a player as dousing his face with a stream from a water bottle or dunking his body in a huge tub.
- I then dunked my head under water, rinsing all of it out, as well as the dirt that remained near my scalp.
2 [no object] Basketball Score by shooting the ball down through the basket with the hands above the rim.
- He lined up 4 guys under the basket and dunked over all of them.
- He can catch and shoot, can shoot off the dribble and can dunk in the fast break.
- Once I got the ball my one intention was to dunk, and I didn't let anything get in my way.
nounBasketball Back to top
A shot downwards into the basket with the hands above the rim.
- I was making everything: jump shots, lay-ups, dunks.
- You'll have a number of tools at your disposal to rack up the points on the court, along with the usual jump shots, dunks and lay-ups.
- They cheer at jet-engine volume whenever he fades away for a jumper or throws down a thundering dunk off of a fast break.
early 20th century: from Pennsylvanian German dunke 'dip', from German tunken 'dip or plunge'.
- Example sentences
- Oh, and for a certain someone who asked; dips and dunkers refers to those blogs that I try to read from time to time, so I ‘dip’ and ‘dunk’ into them like I would a biscuit into tea.
- With all the attention paid to aircraft carriers in the paint and rocket-launch slam dunkers, you might be tempted to think that the NBA has become a game for bangers and leapers only.
- More frugal players might decide to invest their money into augmenting the stats of players on their team to make them better three point shooters or dunkers.
Definition of dunk in:
- US English dictionary