The time during which something continues: bicycle hire for the duration of your holiday a flight of over eight hours' duration
More example sentences
- While lengths and durations change, there is a particular mathematical combination of them that does not.
- The session may be defined in a number of ways, possibly in terms of a time duration or a number of uses.
- To obtain the total of the eight reign durations, the scribe would have used the tallying method.
full length, length of time, time, time span, time scale, period, term, span, spell, stretch, fullness, length, extent, continuation, continuance, perpetuation, prolongation
for the duration
- Until the end of something, especially a war.Example sentences
- He trained for and entered the Royal Navy for the duration of the First World War.
- They receive only travelling expenses plus board and lodging for the duration of the session.
- Highways chiefs expect to keep both lanes open for the duration of the project which is scheduled to last until December this year.
- informal1.1 For a very long time: once she sits down on that settee, she’ll be there for the durationMore example sentences
- Having been one of the last in I managed to be one of the first out, but as I looked behind me it appeared as if many of the mobsters were there for the duration.
- Then she's held down protectively by her friend for the duration.
- One of the aforementioned New York Friends offered to put me up in his new house for the duration.
- Example sentences
- As soon as I started working with electronic musicians, circular breathing becomes a lot more useful because the durational sense can be really different.
- This software program records both discrete events and durational measurements and stores them for later analysis.
- At-risk infants may not be able to efficiently process sound patterns that differ only in durational features.
Late Middle English: via Old French from medieval Latin duratio(n-), from durare 'to last', from durus 'hard'.
Words that rhyme with durationablation, aeration, agnation, Alsatian, Amerasian, Asian, aviation, cetacean, citation, conation, creation, Croatian, counterdemonstration, counterproliferation, crustacean, curation, Dalmatian, delation, dilation, donation, elation, fixation, Galatian, geolocation, glocalization, gyration, Haitian, halation, Horatian, ideation, illation, lavation, legation, libation, location, lunation, mutation, natation, nation, negation, notation, nutation, oblation, oration, ovation, potation, relation, rogation, rotation, Sarmatian, sedation, Serbo-Croatian, station, staycation, taxation, Thracian, vacation, vexation, vocation, zonation
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: dur|ation
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.