noun[mass noun] Medicine
Abnormality in a physiological rhythm, especially in the activity of the brain or heart: congestive heart failure and dysrhythmia [count noun]: these drugs have been noted to cause cardiac dysrhythmias
More example sentences
- Cardiac diagnoses such as acute myocardial infarction, angina, dysrhythmia, and heart failure, are very common causes for hospital admission.
- Signs of toxicity include cardiac dysrhythmias, nausea, tremor, and headache.
- Nonvalvular atrial fibrillation is well known as an independent risk factor for stroke, and millions of patients with this cardiac dysrhythmia are also at risk for cardiogenic embolism.
- Example sentences
- This is a phenomenon that can be evoked by brief hypoxia exposure, promotes ventilatory stability, and protects against dysrhythmic breathing.
- The ventricles respond irregularly to the dysrhythmic bombardment from the atria.
- Speech becomes slurred, dysrhythmic, variable in volume due to inconsistent breath support, and increasingly difficult to understand.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: dys|rhyth¦mia
Definition of dysrhythmia in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.