- The membrane of the middle ear, which vibrates in response to sound waves; the tympanic membrane.More example sentences
- The ear canal is closed at its inner end by a thin diaphragm of stretched skin known as the eardrum or tympanic membrane, which vibrates as the air pressure changes.
- When the eardrum vibrates, tiny bones within the middle ear transmit the sound signals to the inner ear.
- In some cases, a doctor may suggest inserting a tube through the eardrum to allow the middle ear to drain.
More definitions of eardrumDefinition of eardrum in:
- The US English dictionary