Definition of earthquake in English:
1A sudden violent shaking of the ground, typically causing great destruction, as a result of movements within the earth’s crust or volcanic action.
- When it came to measuring these big earthquakes, the Richter scale fell short.
- Nine on the Richter scale indicates an earthquake of absolutely awesome destructive power.
- This is one of the most destructive earthquakes of the twentieth century.
1.1A great upheaval: a political earthquake
More example sentences
- As a political earthquake, the end of the Empire measured right at the top of the Richter scale.
- Zambians rejected all those political earthquakes by the scruff of the neck.
- They would need to be at least six points ahead of the rest to do that, and that would take a political earthquake.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India