- A wooden frame for holding an artist’s work while it is being painted or drawn.More example sentences
- The show is also a wonderful time to watch artists set up easels and paint for the crowds or sign posters and books.
- The artist's easel, paint box, palettes, paintbrushes and dried tubes of paint occupied a corner.
- Here exhibited for the first time, it depicts a painting on an easel and a bird on the wing, the easel representing the artist and the bird in flight the liberating act of painting.
late 16th century: from Dutch ezel 'ass'. The word ‘horse’ is used in English in a similar way to denote a supporting frame.
More definitions of easelDefinition of easel in:
- The US English dictionary