- Lying towards, near, or facing the east: they followed an eastward courseMore example sentences
- Thus Hellenism in its eastward course and Buddhisn in its westward march came in direct contact in Gandhara art and worked out artistic sculptures and other art forms.
- The last four hours of paddling we held an eastward course from Orcas to the mainland.
- On the other side, in East Africa, the eastward pressure of the Mid-Atlantic ridge, combined with the opposite forces generated by the impact of India, created enormous stresses.
adverbBack to top
- (also eastwards) Towards the east: limestone plateaux extend eastward towards the riverMore example sentences
- It was 4am when we pulled out of the harbour and headed eastwards towards our first dive site.
- Overtaken by events, he began pressing for guarantees that NATO would not absorb East Germany or expand eastwards.
- I think at this point she turned around and headed eastwards, towards home, towards safety.
noun(the eastward) Back to top
- The direction or region towards the east: the wind has come round to the eastwardMore example sentences
- To the eastward of the deep water berths, there is about half a mile of docks used by small oversea traffic, and the accommodation provides for vessels of 16 feet of water and 1,000 tons cargo.
- He was riding away to the eastward, as fast as he could make his horse go.
- Burroughs's specter also told Ann Jr. that he had bewitched a great many soldiers to death at the eastward, when Sir Edmon was there.
- More example sentences
- This was consistent with the left-drifting, receding UFOs in the video which indicated the objects were therefore drifting north eastwardly as expected.
- ‘Presently I heard a voice, saying, ‘Son of the Republic, look and learn!’ while at the same time my visitor extended her arm and forefinger eastwardly.
- He stole a horse and left the town to relocate seemingly at random to different towns along a eastwardly course.
More definitions of eastwardDefinition of eastward in:
- The US English dictionary