Definition of ecclesiastical in English:
Relating to the Christian Church or its clergy: the ecclesiastical hierarchy
More example sentences
- If there is no clergy with binding ecclesiastical authority, then each Sikh has to cultivate and heed his own conscience.
- The widespread acceptance of such doctrines bestowed enormous authority on the ecclesiastical hierarchy.
- The preface to the reader made it abundantly clear that it was aimed not at erudite ecclesiastical theologians but at ordinary people.
- Example sentences
- In Augustine's view, Christians recognized themselves as Christians on the basis of an ecclesiastically validated translation which was familiar and ingrained in the memory of the worshippers.
- I acknowledge that my modest proposal is a compromise, both theologically and ecclesiastically.
- Assuming that it doesn't require killing embryos, or some other means that is morally problematic to the church in itself, there wouldn't seem to be any existing ecclesiastically doctrinal reason to do so.
Words that rhyme with ecclesiasticalfantastical
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia