Definition of echo sounder in English:
A device for determining the depth of the seabed or detecting objects in water by measuring the time taken for sound echoes to return to the listener.
- As the low, green islands began to take shape, the echo sounder, which had been showing the same number all morning, came alarmingly to life, going from 15 feet to nearly zero in a few seconds.
- At 12:56 P.M. a signal registered on the paper scrolling through the echo sounder.
- The amount of methane bubbles rising from the bottom of Lake Kinneret was quantified by using a dual-beam echo sounder.
- Example sentences
- And yet echo-sounding maps of submarine topography continued to accumulate.
- Discouraged, he abandoned his attempts and for the rest of the nineteenth century the echo-sounding technique was forgotten.
- The seismic reflection technique is rather akin to echo-sounding.
Definition of echo sounder in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan