A parasite, such as a flea, that lives on the outside of its host. Compare with endoparasite.
- Several ectoparasite species often infect the same nest, and host responses against one parasite could affect the fitness of other ectoparasites and modify ectoparasite communities.
- We measured various indicators of male health and condition, including the intensity of infection from ectoparasites and blood parasites.
- Fifth, we test for correlations between ectoparasites and blood parasites.
- Example sentences
- Nesting cavities of birds and mammals host a distinctive and varied ectoparasitic fauna where the nest material provides the key microhabitat in which free-ranging ectoparasites find refuge and reproduce.
- Sea lice are ectoparasitic marine crustacea which eat the membrane, skin and blood of their host.
- In the present study, we measure infection of the ectoparasitic louse, Myrsidea ptilonorhynchi, in individual male satin bowerbirds both as juveniles and nine or more years later as adults.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ecto|para¦site
Definition of ectoparasite in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.