(US edgewise /-wʌɪz/)
Definition of edgeways in English:
With the edge uppermost or towards the viewer: an electric fan is quieter heard edgeways on than from in front or behind
More example sentences
- In cloisonné enamelling cells, or cloisons, are built up on a thin sheet of metal by attaching metal wire or fine strips of metal fixed edgewise.
- It involves digging and pickax work, as well as delicate handiwork, like carefully splitting open shales edgewise to reveal the fossils that have been trapped between the pages of rocks pasted together.
- To minimise distortion, long cylindrical objects should be quenched vertically, flat sections edgeways and thick sections should enter the bath first.
get a word in edgeways
- [usually with negative] Contribute to a conversation with difficulty because the other speaker talks incessantly: give him a bit of limelight and away he goes—no one else can get a word in edgewaysMore example sentences
- This came as no surprise to me, for it's difficult to get a word in edgeways with the mother.
- I find him in the entrance hall, trying to get a word in edgeways during a lengthy mobile-phone conversation.
- Right now, though, they're not getting a word in edgeways.
Words that rhyme with edgewaysGervaise • endways
Definition of edgeways in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia