- A form of massage involving a repeated circular stroking movement made with the palm of the hand.More example sentences
- ‘Facials are very relaxing as they involve stroking movements and effleurage and the massage goes around the shoulders and the back or the neck,’ she said.
- There are five basic terms describing different massage maneuvers, vibration, tapotement, petrissage, effleurage and friction (small range intensive stroking).
- These massages fuse elements of French effleurage, Japanese shiatsu and Chinese acupressure.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Massage with a circular stroking movement: effleurage the shoulders and press gentlyMore example sentences
- Oil your hands and effleurage the whole leg.
- Approximately 20-30 min can be spent effleuraging the posterior side of the body and 10-15 min effleuraging the front of the legs and the arms.
late 19th century: from French, from effleurer 'skim the surface, stroke lightly', literally 'remove the flower or ‘outer beauty’ of something'.
More definitions of effleurageDefinition of effleurage in:
- The US English dictionary