Definition of eiderdown in English:
1British A quilt filled with down (originally from the eider) or some other soft material.
- She lay in the middle of the big bed, her slender figure - now thinned by her illness - seeming lost in the stacks of blankets and eiderdowns and pillows and cushions and sheets.
- The father of the house where Teddy is staying at the outbreak of war throws a white eiderdown out of a window in a rage.
- It was always such a relief to get back to Auntie Lizzie's so we could use her eiderdown quilts to slide down the stairs (sit on the top step, at the end of the quilt, fold it over your feet, hold both corners and launch yourself over the edge).
2 (eider down) [mass noun] Small, soft feathers from the breast of the female eider.
- I felt the crisp Arctic air and ran my hand through Musk-ox hair that was as soft as eider down.
- Eiderdown is exceptionally soft and has insulating properties superior to any other down.
- Iceland is one of the last major sources of Eider Down in the world.
Words that rhyme with eiderdownshutdown • ballgown • nightgown
Definition of eiderdown in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan