Denoting a type of consonant in some languages (e.g. Hausa) produced by sudden release of pressure from the glottis.
- In fact, it represents an ejective velar stop; the combinations represent a glottalized velar fricative and labialized versions of the first two.
- But the final defeating challenge must be the ‘ejective ‘consonants, expressed with a burst of breath.’
- So let's practice distinguishing ejective from aspirated stops.
An ejective consonant.
- Some of the ejectives are simply not indicated as being so; others are incorrectly labelled ‘plosive’.
- It may take a bit of practice to learn how to make an ejective.
- The purpose of the paper is to investigate acoustic characteristics which distinguish ejectives from pulmonic stops in Ingush.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: eject|ive
Definition of ejective in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.