A cartilaginous fish of a group that comprises the sharks, rays, and skates. Compare with selachian.
- Subclass Elasmobranchii, class Chondrichthyes
More example sentences
- However, the presence of modulation in feeding among the elasmobranchs (sharks, skates, and rays) has not been extensively studied.
- Like other elasmobranchs (sharks and rays), skates are vulnerable to overfishing because they mature late.
- Additional comments are made below regarding the distribution of epipelagic, mesopelagic, and benthopelagic elasmobranchs and teleosts in the upwelling assemblages.
late 19th century: from modern Latin Elasmobranchii (plural), from Greek elasmos 'beaten metal' + brankhia 'gills'.
Definition of elasmobranch in:
- The US English dictionary