Relating to Elea, an ancient Greek city in SW Italy, or the school of philosophers which flourished there in about the 5th century bc, including Xenophanes, Parmenides, and Zeno.
- The original atomist theory was a response to the Eleatic school of Parmenides, Zeno, and Melissus of Samos.
- Founder of the Eleatic school of philosophy, Xenophanes was a native of Colophon, and born about 570 BCE.
- Parmenides was a Greek philosopher and poet, born of an illustrious family about BCE. 510, at Elea in Lower Italy, and is is the chief representative of the Eleatic philosophy.
An Eleatic philosopher.
- The Eleatics, particularly Parmenides, appear to have been the first to do so.
- The Eleatics, for example, had been compelled to deny that senses give one any access to the truth, since to the world of sense, with its multitude and change, they allowed only a phenomenal existence.
- There are no eternally enduring substances; matter is just another such error as the God of the Eleatics.
Late 17th century: from Latin Eleaticus, from Elea.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Ele|at¦ic
Definition of Eleatic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.