verb[no object] (usually as noun electioneering)
(Of a politician or political campaigner) take part actively and energetically in a campaign to be elected to public office: the election will not be lost or won as the result of a few weeks of electioneering
More example sentences
- Politicians are electioneering, but there's no election date.
- This was first of all an electioneering budget which eschewed electioneering.
- While the public might be willing to tolerate electioneering from a candidate, the incumbent was a different matter.
A campaigning politician during an election: he was now a national figure and a rumbustious electioneer
More example sentences
- Party electioneers know that an election held any later than the British government's selfimposed deadline of November 13 is a non-starter.
- An affluent attorney as well as small planter, Moore campaigned as ‘a skillful electioneer [who] courted the lower stratum of society.’
- This allows electioneers to bypass the media and appeal directly to voters without journalists putting their spin on the issues.
Words that rhyme with electioneeradhere, Agadir, Anglosphere, appear, arrear, auctioneer, austere, balladeer, bandolier, Bashkir, beer, besmear, bier, blear, bombardier, brigadier, buccaneer, cameleer, career, cashier, cavalier, chandelier, charioteer, cheer, chevalier, chiffonier, clavier, clear, Coetzee, cohere, commandeer, conventioneer, Cordelier, corsetière, Crimea, dear, deer, diarrhoea (US diarrhea), domineer, Dorothea, drear, ear, emir, endear, engineer, fear, fleer, Freer, fusilier, gadgeteer, Galatea, gazetteer, gear, gondolier, gonorrhoea (US gonorrhea), Greer, grenadier, hand-rear, hear, here, Hosea, idea, interfere, Izmir, jeer, Judaea, Kashmir, Keir, kir, Korea, Lear, leer, Maria, marketeer, Medea, Meir, Melilla, mere, Mia, Mir, mishear, mountaineer, muleteer, musketeer, mutineer, near, orienteer, pamphleteer, panacea, paneer, peer, persevere, pier, Pierre, pioneer, pistoleer, privateer, profiteer, puppeteer, racketeer, ratafia, rear, revere, rhea, rocketeer, Sapir, scrutineer, sear, seer, sere, severe, Shamir, shear, sheer, sincere, smear, sneer, sonneteer, souvenir, spear, sphere, steer, stere, summiteer, Tangier, tear, tier, Trier, Tyr, veer, veneer, Vere, Vermeer, vizier, volunteer, Wear, weir, we're, year, Zaïre
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: elec¦tion|eer
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.