Definition of electrochromism in English:
noun[mass noun] Chemistry
The property of certain dyes of changing colour when placed in an electric field.
- This charge-shift couples with an electric field within a cell membrane, resulting in electrochromism.
- These membrane-bound ASP probes were shown to exhibit electrochromism resulting from a charge - shift mechanism in which energies of absorption, excitation, and emission are modulated by the membrane electric field strength.
- Relative changes in the emission spectral amplitude resulting from excitation spectral shifts or effects other than electrochromism on dye response are not addressed in this study.
- Example sentences
- An electrolyte layer conducts ions back and forth between the electrochromic layer and an ion storage layer.
- It's done with ‘layers of different electrochromic polymers’ and the system includes a color-matching camera and pre-visualization screen.
- These changes reflect mainly electrochromic bandshifts of carotenoids and can be described by the following expression.
Definition of electrochromism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.