Definition of electrolyse in English:
Subject to or treat by electrolysis: when you electrolyse water it splits into its constituent hydrogen and oxygen
More example sentences
- The plan is to build several huge wind turbines that would produce electricity to electrolyse water and to liquefy the hydrogen for transport.
- The cartridge consisting of multiple mesh electrodes arranged transversely to imposed water flow electrolyzes passing water when energized.
- The substance being electrolyzed must be an electrolyte, a liquid that contains positive and negative ions and therefore is able to conduct electricity.
mid 19th century: from electrolysis, on the pattern of analyse.
- Example sentences
- With state-of-the-art electrolyzers, about 55 kWh will be needed to manufacture the energy content of a gallon of gasoline in the form of gaseous hydrogen.
- The hydrogen electrolyzer, a long-lived fuel cell, and fuel-tank technology are not fully developed.
- Solar panels and wind generators also deliver electricity to power the electrolyzer, which can produce more hydrogen, whether the boat is underway, at dockside or even unattended on a mooring.
Definition of electrolyse in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia