Definition of electrovalent in English:
(Of bonding) resulting from electrostatic attraction between positive and negative ions; ionic.
- Another type of bond that occurs when electrons are transferred between atoms is called an ionic bond (or electrovalent bond).
- Scientists also call ionic bonds electrovalent bonds.
- The bond that is formed between the two ions is an ionic bond (sometimes also called an electrovalent bond), and the compound produced is an ionic compound.
- Example sentences
- Electrovalence is just another word for something that has given up its electron and become an ion.
- The receptor recognition site can change its electrovalence and exchange divalent or monovalent counter ions for either decamethonium or muscarone.
1920s: from electro- + -valent, on the pattern of trivalent.
Definition of electrovalent in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.