verb[with object] Chemistry
Remove (an adsorbed substance) by washing with a solvent, especially in chromatography: these protein bands were eluted and used as immunogen
More example sentences
- After repeated washing captured proteins were eluted from the resin using 10 mM DTT.
- Bound material was then eluted with 0.2 M methyl mannoside in the same buffer.
- After extensive washing of the unbound protein with 40 mM imidazole, the GHS protein was eluted with 250 mM imidazole.
- Example sentences
- After separation by TLC and elution from the silica gel, ASG and SG were hydrolysed with 2 N methanolic HCl under reflux for 4 h at 100°C.
- These include the single cell gel electrophoresis assay, the gel electrophoresis assay, the alkaline elution and unwinding assays and the analysis of DNA adducts.
- The imidazole concentration at elution was 112 mM.
1920s: from Latin elut- 'washed out', from the verb eluere, suggested by German eluieren.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: elute
Definition of elute in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.