noun (plural embolectomies)[mass noun]
- Surgical removal of an embolus: some patients with this syndrome are unsuited for embolectomy [count noun]: he had an embolectomy while in hospitalMore example sentences
- Available modes of treatment include bowel-sparing approaches such as surgical laparotomy with embolectomy or local infusion of thrombolytic agents via an abdominal aortic catheter.
- It showed that patients treated with thrombolytic therapy had a higher death rate, increased risk of major hemorrhage and an increased rate of PE recurrence when compared with patients treated surgically with embolectomy.
- A therapeutic approach to a patient who fails thrombolytic therapy, anticoagulation and placement of a filter includes surgical or catheter embolectomy.
More definitions of embolectomyDefinition of embolectomy in:
- The US English dictionary