noun (plural emboli /-lʌɪ, iː/)
A blood clot, air bubble, piece of fatty deposit, or other object which has been carried in the bloodstream to lodge in a vessel and cause an embolism.
More example sentences
- Leg clots with pulmonary emboli and bed sores must be prevented.
- If the embolus reaches a blood vessel it cannot flow through, a blockage occurs.
- The embolus is carried in the blood stream until it gets stuck in a place where it forms a blockage.
- More example sentences
- The differential diagnosis for the lesion included thrombotic or embolic causes.
- Seven months after the lung tumor was resected, the patient developed a left temporoparietal infarction that resulted from embolic occlusion of the left middle cerebral artery secondary to atrial fibrillation.
- A small-profile embolic protection filter is designed to allow the capture and removal of dislodged embolic material during cardiovascular interventions.
Definition of embolus in:
- The US English dictionary