- An alkaloid present in ipecacuanha and formerly used in the treatment of amoebic infections and as an emetic in aversion therapy.More example sentences
- If patients use this emetic, the emetine that it contains can cause myocardial damage similar to viral myocarditis.
- This product contains cephaline and emetine, which stimulate gastric sensory centers linked to the vomiting center in the brain.
- In addition, using emetine (a translation inhibitor altering ribosome functioning) we detected the involvement of ribotoxic stress in p38 MAPK activation by UVA.
early 19th century: from Greek emetos 'vomiting' + -ine4.
More definitions of emetineDefinition of emetine in:
- The US English dictionary