A long-established species of wheat with bearded ears and spikelets that each contain two grains, now grown mainly for fodder and breakfast cereals. Compare with einkorn, spelt2.
- Triticum dicoccum, family Gramineae
More example sentences
- Three species exist both as wild and domesticated wheats, einkorn, emmer, and breadwheat.
- Bread wheat was the accidental ‘unnatural’ crossing of einkorn and then emmer wheat with another species.
- Ancient or modern farmers have grown four wheat species: einkorn, emmer, timopheevi, and common (hexaploid, or bread) wheat.
Definition of emmer in:
- The US English dictionary