More definitions of EMUDefinition of EMU in:
- The US English dictionary
- A large flightless fast-running Australian bird resembling the ostrich, with shaggy grey or brown plumage, bare blue skin on the head and neck, and three-toed feet.
More example sentences
- Dromaius novaehollandiae, the only member of the family Dromaiidae
- Ostriches, emus, cassowaries, rheas, kiwis, moas and elephant birds really are more closely related to each other than they are to any other birds.
- Living relatives of moa include the emus, ostrich, and kiwi, which are members of a bird group called ratites.
- Ostriches and emus are primitive birds that have more in common with dinosaurs than more advanced birds like robins, Schweitzer said.
early 17th century: from Portuguese ema. The word originally denoted the cassowary, later the greater rhea; current usage dates from the early 19th century.