Definition of encircle in English:
Form a circle around; surround: the town is encircled by fortified walls
More example sentences
- Imagine her surprise when she felt the point of a knife on the small of her back, and a large arm encircling her waist.
- The cuff is an inelastic cloth that encircles the arm and encloses the inflatable rubber bladder.
- I didn't get far though, before his arms encircled my waist and pulled me to his wet body.
- Example sentences
- The latest outrage was the encirclement of the city, cutting it off and isolating it from its environment through barricades.
- The counterattack scored some stunning successes at first, including the encirclement of the 101st Airborne Division at Bastogne.
- This turned allies into enemies, creating a fear of encirclement - and an even greater obsession with military strength.
Pronunciation: /ɪnˈsəːk(ə)lm(ə)nt/ /ɛnˈsəːk(ə)lm(ə)nt/noun
Words that rhyme with encirclecircle
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.