Definition of encircle in English:
Form a circle around; surround: the town is encircled by fortified walls
More example sentences
- Imagine her surprise when she felt the point of a knife on the small of her back, and a large arm encircling her waist.
- The cuff is an inelastic cloth that encircles the arm and encloses the inflatable rubber bladder.
- I didn't get far though, before his arms encircled my waist and pulled me to his wet body.
- Example sentences
- The latest outrage was the encirclement of the city, cutting it off and isolating it from its environment through barricades.
- The counterattack scored some stunning successes at first, including the encirclement of the 101st Airborne Division at Bastogne.
- This turned allies into enemies, creating a fear of encirclement - and an even greater obsession with military strength.
Pronunciation: /ɪnˈsəːk(ə)lm(ə)nt/ /ɛnˈsəːk(ə)lm(ə)nt/noun
Words that rhyme with encirclecircle
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan