Definition of encomiast in English:
A person who publicly praises or flatters someone else.
- Yesterday, I watched a program by a famous encomiast in China.
- He is admired not as an uncritical encomiast of his own culture and society, but rather as an exemplum of the spirit - both critical and conservative - that is among the West's most enduring legacies to the world.
- Example sentences
- To understand why the ‘lives’ began this way, it is important to remember that ‘lives’ were encomiastic narratives, a peculiar literary genre somewhere between the diegesis and the enkomion.
- In the main, these are either gratuitously encomiastic or post-prandial.
- She makes use of his commentaries, but above all of his seven encomiastic homilies in praise of Paul.
Definition of encomiast in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan