Definition of encrustation in English:
1The action of encrusting or state of being encrusted.
- Pollutants in the atmosphere and the attentions of birds and humans cause discolouration, encrustation and corrosion.
- Slight variations in the diameter along the length of some filaments reflect either the degree of silica encrustation or septa in the original filament.
- For some microbes, initial encrustation involved the growth of small spheroids scattered irregularly along the length of the microbe.
1.1 [count noun] A crust or hard coating on the surface of something: the sides are white with encrustations of salt
More example sentences
- It grows as a surface incrustation on gastropod shells inhabited by the hermit crab Pagurus longicarpus.
- A white incrustation called efflorescence is often found on the surface of interior masonry walls.
- The Great White Way is a comfortable walking passage with white encrustations covering much of the lower half of the walls.
Definition of encrustation in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan