- The final stage of a game such as chess or bridge, when few pieces or cards remain: the game was adjourned after 41 moves in a rook and pawn endgame • figurative Clinton went into the 1992 endgame with a lead in more states than Carter in 1976More example sentences
- With the rise in use of exchange sacrifices, rook versus minor piece endgames are becoming more common, and there are key defensive techniques that a player must know.
- There are a great many Rook and pawn endgames, reflecting their common occurrence in tournament practice.
- Here, however, you will find more coverage of endgames with more pieces and pawns.
More definitions of endgameDefinition of endgame in:
- The US English dictionary