Definition of endive in English:
1British An edible Mediterranean plant, the bitter leaves of which may be used in salads.
- Cichorium endivia, family Compositae. The varieties of endive are placed in two groups: curly endive, with curled leaves, and Batavian endive, with smooth leaves
- This could be served with leaves of bitter endive or a bowl of small boiled potatoes for dipping.
- All you need to accompany this dish is a bitter, leafy salad like rocket and endives in an olive oil and lemon dressing.
- The company also produces bulb onions, parsnips, leeks, endives, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflowers, cabbage, swede and about five per cent of Britain's asparagus crop.
2 (also Belgian endive) North American A chicory crown.
- There's also endive and chicory which I will talk about later, which is a cousin of lettuce, but is technically not lettuce.
- So endives, including Belgian endive, are all chicories.
- The chicory clan - Belgian endive, radicchio, and escarole - is sneaking into more and more produce sections.
Words that rhyme with endivegerundive • olive
Definition of endive in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan