Definition of endocytosis in English:
noun[mass noun] Biology
The taking in of matter by a living cell by invagination of its membrane to form a vacuole.
- During endocytosis, the cell membrane on which the toxin sits gradually encircles the protein complex in an acidic sac or endosome.
- In secretory cells membrane trafficking, specifically endocytosis, is inhibited at low pH.
- They undergo rapid endocytosis at higher substrate concentration.
- Example sentences
- Also, formation of endocytotic vesicles at the plasma membrane involves proteins that can severely bend membranes.
- In many cells, endocytotic membrane retrieval is accelerated by this chemical.
- Here we summarize what is known of endocytotic cycling in animals and compare those mechanisms with what is known in plants.
Definition of endocytosis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan