Definition of endoderm in English:
noun[mass noun] Zoology & Embryology
The innermost layer of cells or tissue of an embryo in early development, or the parts derived from this, which include the lining of the gut and associated structures. Compare with ectoderm and mesoderm.
- In this tissue, therefore, the fate of some of the cells has been changed from prospective gut endoderm to mesoderm and ectoderm.
- These cells, usually seen as being mesodermal, apparently represent another cell line originating from endoderm.
- In addition, they act as messengers, bearing molecular orders to the mesoderm and endoderm which they contact on arrival.
- Example sentences
- The tumor demonstrated predominantly mature ectodermal, mesodermal, and endodermal elements.
- The most interesting and most perplexing question is how ectodermal glands can be derived from what has been thought to be endodermal and mesodermal derivatives.
- Neither ectodermal nor endodermal components were identified in the sections examined.
Definition of endoderm in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan